Nathan Cole is an experienced trial lawyer who represents a range of local, regional and national companies in civil litigation. Through strong command of trial tactics and strategy, Nathan has effectively steered cases to jury verdict before the Massachusetts Superior and District Courts, and has represented clients before the Massachusetts Appeals Court, the U.S. District Court, and numerous private mediators.
Nathan brings practical, deep experience to all aspects of managing litigation from case assessment through depositions, arguing motions before judges and executing trial plans. His ability to anticipate and respond to opposing counsel’s strategy offers distinct advantages as he prepares to defend a case, or advises clients to pursue settlement. Nathan’s experience includes representing small businesses and regional companies, as well as major national corporations needing local counsel. His clients are a diverse range of businesses involved in a variety of industries, including construction, manufacturing, insurance, food services, retail, waste management and hazardous materials cleanup, and commercial landscaping, maintenance and snow removal.
Nathan has deep experience with construction litigation, representing general contractors, subcontractors, building owners, property managers, snow plow companies, and others in contract disputes, job site defect cases, premises liability, landlord-tenant disputes, and insurance coverage disputes. He also handles personal injury cases for plaintiffs and defendants ranging from moderate to catastrophic losses. His years of experience representing insurance agents, brokers, insureds and insurers is an advantage in employing the optimal strategy to advise businesses pursuing coverage remedies or bringing E&O claims. He uses this experience to guide businesses in all phases of risk management and planning, including employee hiring and termination, and strategic considerations regarding the amount or type of insurance coverage that best fits their objectives.
Nathan started his career as an Attorney-Advisor in the United States Department of Commerce, Office of General Counsel, Ethics Division, in Washington, D.C. He left the Department of Commerce to serve as a law clerk to the Justices of the Massachusetts Superior Court prior to entering private practice.
Nathan is rated AV preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell and has been named a Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star—an honor given to a select group of accomplished lawyers under 40 years old who have earned significant recognition in their first decade of practice. He is also a 2015 graduate of the International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy—a premier defense trial advocacy training program associated with the Stanford University Law School.
- Boston College Law School, J.D., 2003
- Bates College, B.A., 1997
- Massachusetts, 2004
- United States District Court, 2006
- International Association of Defense Counsel (Construction Law/Litigation and Professional Liability Committees, 2016 Annual Meeting CLE Committee Vice-Chair)
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- In March of 2016, Nathan won a jury trial in Middlesex Superior Court on behalf of his client, a snowplow and landscaping company. The plaintiff claimed that she sustained a serious injury when she slipped on less than 0.5’’ of snow in the middle of an active blizzard at a Market Basket parking lot. Nathan argued that the snow removal company, which was in the process of using six trucks to plow the parking lot at the time of the accident, was not negligent given the circumstances. After a three day trial, the jury returned a verdict for Nathan’s client in less than one hour.
- Nathan recently negotiated a contract on behalf of his client, Polkadog Bakery, a Boston-based pet supply manufacturer, to supply goods to the charitable foundation of one of Bravo TV’s “Real Housewives.” In exchange for his client providing monthly donations of locally made pet treats to the celebrity’s Los Angeles-based charity, the celebrity agreed to monthly mentions of Polkadog’s Facebook, Twitter, and website address, reaching millions of the celebrity’s social media followers.
- Nathan obtained summary judgement on behalf of a Massachusetts-based hazardous waste cleanup contractor. He argued that the “limitation of liability waiver” clause in the contract with the property owner blocked the property owner from bringing a claim for personal injuries and property damage, and helped his client obtain a victory without the expense and uncertainty of trial.
- Nathan has obtained over $1,000,000 in settlements for his personal injury clients. In the fall of 2016, he secured a $275,000 settlement for a client who suffered a broken wrist when she caught her foot in the crack of a parking lot and fell. Nathan obtained a $250,000 settlement for a crane operator that suffered a major knee injury while working on a Boston construction jobsite and a $330,000 settlement for a client who suffered a fractured spine as a guest of a major international hotel when the hotel’s shuttle bus ran her over as she was walking across the hotel parking lot. Nathan understands how corporations and their insurance companies evaluate and defend catastrophic personal injury cases because of his experience in the insurance industry and he uses that experience to get results for his personal injury clients.