Sakib Khan combines the practical knowledge of an engineer with experience as a civil trial lawyer as he advises general contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, consultants and owners on business related issues. He has particular experience representing companies entangled in disputes pertaining to public sector projects such as bid protests; payment and performance bond claims, scope disputes, unforeseen conditions claim, design defects, delay, disruption and interference claims, wrongful termination claims or construction defect claims. Sakib also advises clients on regulatory compliance issues pertaining to delegated design, the Massachusetts Mechanic’s Lien Law, the Prompt Pay Act, the Massachusetts Retainage law, the federal Davis-Bacon Law, the Massachusetts Prevailing Wage Law, the Federal Acquisition Regulations, DCAMM Certification Regulations and Massachusetts municipal and state procurement laws. In addition to handling all aspects of litigation or arbitration involving public or private projects, Sakib assesses and mitigates risk through negotiation, effective contract drafting and review, and providing strategic counsel on construction project management, pricing and other business operations.
With a B.S. in civil engineering and construction management, Sakib is able to get up-to-speed on both the technical and legal issues of a case quickly, and then formulate an assessment and resolution strategy. He’s able to review technical reports, advise and direct experts consulting on a case, and apply practical engineering knowledge to interpretation and application of codes, industry standards and regulations. Sakib’s depth and real-world understanding of building and construction are invaluable assets to clients.
Sakib provides counsel on a range of additional issues related to the construction and real estate industries including landlord tenant dispute, general business torts, design professional malpractice, no-compete claims, contract disputes and claims of fraud or deceptive trade practices.
Sakib is honored by Massachusetts Super Lawyers.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Construction and Real Estate Litigation
- Landlord Tenant Disputes
- Business Litigation
- Professional Liability Defense
- Contract Claims
- Boston College Law School – 2010, J.D.
- Columbia University School of Engineering – 2007, B.S.
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- State of New York
- United States District Court – District of Massachusetts
- Steel Fabricators of New England
- Leadership in Environmental and Energy Design (LEED) Accredited Professional (Legacy)
- Member, South Asian Bar Association
- Member, New England Muslim Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association Consumer Advocacy Task Force
- Massachusetts Bar Association Leadership Academy
- “Safeguarding Your Bid in the Digital Age,” Khan, Sakib A., Construction Journal, Construction Industries of Massachusetts, Inc. (November 2013).
- “Are You Potentially Accepting Liability for the Engineer’s Design Errors?” Grillo, James G. and Khan, Sakib A., Construction Journal, Construction Industries of Massachusetts, Inc. (February 2013).
- “Eminent Domain and the Engineer’s Ethics.” Third Place Winning Paper, American Society of Civil Engineers Metro-Area Student Conference (2007).