Kenney & Sams, P.C. employs trial attorneys who have extensive experience representing public agencies, authorities, and public officials in state and municipal government. We recognize the political nature such litigation presents, and effectively manage the public scrutiny that often accompanies these claims.
Kenney & Sams possesses a unique knowledge base in these areas and the collective experience of our attorneys provides us with expertise in handling cases ranging from civil rights allegations against governmental agencies and law enforcement officers, to local and state government tort claims. We also possess expertise in handling employment discrimination and wage disputes, educational institution matters, governmental construction and contractual disputes, and premises liability issues.
Our attorneys have successfully handled cases concerning the following notable matters, among others:
- Representation of a former commissioner of a state agency in civil rights claims, obtaining dismissal based on qualified immunity;
- Defense of the Commonwealth against a claim for billions of dollars in extra fees sought by the law firms which represented the state in the tobacco litigation;
- Claims against the Commonwealth arising from alleged failures in The Central Artery/Tunnel Project and claims asserted by the Commonwealth for project deficiencies;
- A case of first impression regarding whether a public authority can be held liable for a suicide committed on its property;
- Civil rights claims against state officials and educational institutions;
- Civil rights claims against law enforcement officers, including matters as specific as law enforcement officers’ rights and training, and claims regarding the applicable use of force continuum;
- First Amendment claims arising from statements made by a former Acting Governor;
- A case of first impression in the Commonwealth concerning whether covert videotape surveillance in the workplace constituted an illegal search or an invasion of privacy;
- Civil and criminal defense of law enforcement officers concerning their use of force in an official capacity;
- A case of first impression concerning the legal standard for evaluating an officer’s use of force;
- Consultation to the Commonwealth’s Department of Elementary and Secondary Education regarding the standards for revocation of a state charter school;
- Defense of tort claims brought against the Fernald State School regarding the medical treatment of a resident; and Tort Claims Act case against the Commonwealth and its political subdivisions.